Monday, March 4, 2013

10 Big Questions With Brian Rathbone




1.  What is it about the Fantasy genre that is so compelling for you?

Growing up on a working horse farm was like living in a different world. It was an old world in a new world. Reading fantasy seemed natural to me. It fit. I never dreamed of writing anything but fantasy, and I feel honored to get the chance to do it.

2.  Why choose independent publishing for your books?  Do you like the control of being in charge of your destiny?

After a few rejections from agents, I came to understand that I made a bad business case. I had no one waiting to buy my next book. I had no platform, no sales, no clips. I decided to build a platform with independent publishing in order to attract a traditional publisher. Though we haven't actually worked out a deal yet, I have been able to draw the attention of NY agents. I plan to develop some specifically for traditional publication in the future, while continuing to self-publish.

3.  How has your writing method changed from when you wrote your first book until now?

I agonized more over the first book than any since. I remember not being able to tell when I was done editing. I hired an editor from academia, and it didn't go well. I started over with an editor who specializes in fantasy, and my process soon gelled.

4.  The cover artwork for your books is gorgeous and so are the included maps.  Do you create the art yourself or use another method? 

Thank you. The cover art for the Godsland series is done by Mike Brooker (@mikebrooker on Twitter), except the original cover art, which was done by me and my Aunt Doreen. I created the maps using Campaign Cartographer 2 using fractal shorelines, and then I used Photoshop to dress them up.

5.  What does a day of writing look like for you?  Or do you prefer to write at night?

I usually start around 1pm and write a thousand words at a time, which takes me about a half an hour. I take a half hour break, and then I am fresh to write another a thousand words. I repeat this five times, and I usually feel like a well wrung mop when I'm done, but it's fulfilling to reach my daily goals. I tend to edit in a similar pattern with my smartphone reading the document to me and setting the pace.

6.  Do you have a formal background in creative writing or are you self-taught? Which method has helped you grow the most as a storyteller?  

I've never taken any creative writing courses; I learned to write by reading lots and lots of fantasy. For years I read fantasy to unwind from my stressful career, and I would think about story lines before sleep every night. It was only when I gave myself permission to write with wild abandon that I found my voice and my rhythm. Writing is still a challenge, but it is less so now than it was.

7. Some have said that to be a writer you have to be a little crazy.  Do you agree with that statement?

I was crazy long before I was a writer, but it seems to have come in handy. I'm certain there are sane people who take up writing, but I have my doubts as to how long they will remain so. The keyboard is a fickle mistress.

8. Can you talk about any new projects you are currently working on?

I recently selected Chris Snelgrove at Darkfire Productions to record the premium audio versions of the Godsland fantasy series. We are expecting to have the first six books in the series completed by this fall. In the meantime, I will be working on the next book in the Godsland series. Exciting times!

9.  Do you feel social media is key to an independent author’s success?  Do you have any additional tips for writers wanting to go the self-published route?

Social media is a powerful tool that writers use to varying degrees of success. As a technology oriented person, I keep a close eye on my metrics, and Twitter alone accounts for 20% of my web traffic. It should be noted that Google organic search drives 70% of my traffic. It should also be said that social media, SEO, blogging and other activities are all secondary to discoverability on the retailer sites like Amazon, B&N, iTunes, Kobo, Sony, etc. And I would be remiss if I didn't mention that I originally grew my audience on Podioboosks.com by giving away serialized audio versions of my books. I rely on social media to drive a steady stream of potential readers to my books, but it is one of only many tools I employ.

My advice to authors who wish to self-publish is this: Write a great book, have it professionally edited, get great cover art, price it reasonably, and publish it everywhere. Repeat.

10. If you could have dinner with one author from any generation who would it be and why?

I'm going to pick two: Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. Together they created the most memorable character of all those I've read: Tasslehoff Burrfoot. I would enjoy that conversation a great deal. What excites me is that such meetings are not outside the realm of possibility.

Find out more about Brain Rathbone!


No comments:

Post a Comment