Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Let Go And Let Your Story Grow



As a parent the thought of my child growing up is both terrifying and exhilarating.  The idea of who she might become captivates my imagination, while the dangers that lurk in an unscripted world keep me up at night.  The truth is I must let her go in order for her to become the woman she is destined to be.  If I hold her back, instructing her each day how to act and think, she will not make the choices and mistakes that will shape her.

The same is true for your story. 

When my editor encouraged me to whittle away my words and reshape my dialogue I was startled.  My heels dug deep. My knuckles were white with resistance. He clearly didn’t understand my vision!  Then, I read the new words he requested. I scanned them a second time. All were better. Some were the best I’d ever written. 

A bright light sparked above my head. If I wanted my book to grow I must let it go.

As writers and artists we feel a connection with our work that goes beyond pen strokes and key strikes. Our hearts are exposed with every word we print. Our insecurities revealed to whoever is peaking. We crave control.

However, to write something great you must be willing to loosen your grip on the project.  Find someone you trust and ask them how the book can be better. Don’t ask if they like it or what parts were their favorite. Ask only how it can be improved.  Then study, write, rewrite, and write again until you are fully satisfied. You and your grown up story will be better for it.

To discover my book's potential I had to trust that it would find its way back to me once I let it go.  And it has.  


No comments:

Post a Comment