Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Write. Rewrite. Rinse. Repeat.



It is no sign of weakness or defeat that your manuscript ends up in need of major surgery. This is common in all writing and among the best of writers.
-   E.B. White

I remember the day that I finished the first complete draft of my novel.  I was excited. I even took a picture of the handwritten page that included the clichéd phrase “The End” at the bottom.  It was an excellent day.  The sky was surely a gorgeous shade of blue. I texted friends, called family members, and tweeted about how brilliant it felt to be finished with my book.

Fast-forward a few months later and I am stepping knee deep into a fresh edit of a book that I’ve already spent so much time shaping and reshaping. “Why?” you might ask. First, because I’ve felt since I finished the novel that it wasn’t the complete story I wanted to tell. Second, I am now working with a talented editor who is encouraging me to dig deep and scratch the core of what makes my novel unique. Finally, because every day I work to better my first book is time spent improving my future as a writer.

A fresh story waits to be written. It’s time to get to work.


No comments:

Post a Comment